This website is intended to highlight:
Titles of the Indonesian publishing company Balai Pustaka held at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, particularly texts of post-colonial fiction
The role that Balai Pustaka texts could have in the study of Dutch colonialism and post-colonialism in Indonesia, such as in the development of fiction and of language
To explore the Balai Pustaka items and reference sources, browse by exhibits or items. Visit the "About Balai Pustaka" tab for more background information.
This project was developed by graduate assistant Laura Rocco for the International and Area Studies Library at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign during the 2018-2019 school year as an exploration of using Omeka to highlight library collections and research.
There are many opportunities for additional research of this collection. Ideas include:
- Detailed translations of Balai Pustaka titles and introductory material
- Adding additional exhibits to feature other kinds of Balai Pustaka items in the UIUC collection (i.e. dictionaries and Indonesian grammars, education, history, etc.)
- Research about recurring authors and illustrators among the holdings
- A history/survey of cover and internal illustrations
- The development of language during the postcolonial period
- Comparative analysis of multiple editions or printing of a single title, or of a story/tale among multiple titles
All images featured on this website are from items held at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Library. Per fair use, less than 10% of any total item has been included.
To ask questions about this project, please send emails to email@example.com.